15 February 2008

NEW 6 x 17 Panoramic Camera

Well, it's new to me anyway - a completely different format to that which I know and am used to ... 6 x 17 which is sometimes referred to as 617.

Whilst composing any image, it has always been a habit of mine to see it in my own mind in a panoramic format and such, I have sometimes set up the camera to capture the panoramic view that I see and to crop to that format later in PhotoShop.

So, why the 617 panoramic format ?

Quite simply, I recently visited Exmoor and adorning the walls of the old coaching house in which I stayed were large panoramic photographs of the local landscape - immediately, I was hooked.

The 617 panoramic images displayed were all of the highest possible quality as you would imagine as they were captured on a kind of stretch medium format camera known as a Fuji GX 617 ... an extremely lovely piece of photographic kit by anyones standards.

Okay, I know, I'm talking here about a film camera and one which I am very seriously considering buying (even though it has been discontinued) but I can use good old 120 or 220 film of the infrared variety to capture mind blowing IR panoramic images - brilliant.

This is where I now lead onto 6 x 17 digital panoramic although I don't know of this particular camera being suitable for digital infrared photography - it's the world's first and only digital 6 x 17 camera ... the Seitz 617 digital panoramic camera which produces high resolution 160 million pixel captures - absolutely whopping to say the least.

So, todays post is for those of you out there who want to shoot really high quality IR images in the panoramic format - you could go down the route of a panoramic camera in the 617 format and use IR film or you could try your hand at taking a number of shots and stitching them together to produce a panoramic image using the likes of Adobe PhotoShop or perhaps some bundled software which came with your digital camera.

Try Shooting Wide

No comments: